Saturday, 1 July 2017

2nd Edition Warhammer 40k

2nd Edition Warhammer 40k came out in 1993 and I got my copy on the day of release, preordered it came with a numbered certificate and a dog tag, both of which I've still have, somewhere.  Around the same time GW released the first of the 2nd Ed character models for the Blood Angels including  Commander Dante, Mephiston, Lord of Death, Captain Tycho and Brother Corbulo all of which are still available today.  Already having a massive Titan Legions Blood Angels Army I bought the figures from the Local GW on the day they were released, along with the codex Angels of Death.  2nd Ed was my favourite edition, I was playing regularly and I had some good games.  I still have some figure from then still unpainted and who knows maybe one day I'll get round to painting them, until then here's the collection with its genuine 1990's paint job.

 Commander Dante
 Mephiston, Lord of Death
 Captain Tycho
Chaplain 
 Whats left of the 2nd Ed Army
 The Assault Squad, Tactical Marines from the box and some Terminators.
 Vehicles, Tactical Marines and a few Death Company.
 The Dreadnought on the right is from the 2nd Ed days and the intact Terminator Sergeant 
Details of the Landspeeder.

Sometime later GW released the Space Marine Bikes, Attack Bike and Ravenwing 'speeder, so naturally I had to have them.  So along with the Chaplain on the bike, they became The Ravenwing.


Detail of the Chaplains bike.

Then came Chaos in the shape of Abaddon the DespoilerFabius Bile, Ahriman and Kharn the Betrayer, while Abaddon the Despoiler and Fabius Bile are still on the GW website Ahriman and Kharn the Betrayer are not.
 Abaddon ready for a spot of Despoiling.  Fabius Bile was painted by a mate.
 His Terminator BodyGuard
And a few Black Legion

The came 3rd Ed and little warbands grew into Armies.


The Blood Angels grew and grew and eventually I had that much stuff and repainted about half of what I had and turned them into Dark Angels.


And The forces of Chaos were seduced by Khorne who got his own Army.  The Dark Angels and the Khorne Army have long gone by way of Ebay and most of what you see hasn't been out of the case for at least 15 years.  What I have left is in the photos above, probably all useless for 40k now as we now have the real scale space marines and all sorts of Chaotic spikey death on the models from the current range.  I have all the weapons, banners and bits that have fallen off over the years, so who knows maybe one day I put it all back together and re-do some of the painting.
Probably not though, as in my experience, nostalgia is better left in the past.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment