Saturday, 22 September 2018

Another Hannibal

I bought the Salute Hannibal from Ebay a couple of weeks ago and painted him today.  Funny thing is I never wanted this figure until I painted the other Hannibal.

Cheers

Tuesday, 28 August 2018

More Carthaginians

I finished the second unit of Carthaginians this weekend.  The figures are in mail shirts and painted black and white.

 The Plan was to use black paint for the shield device, but a Sharpie turned up so I used that.
 Some of them turned out fine, some not so much, overall I'm happy with the result.
 I painted the standard bearer with a silvered cuirass, which looked much better than the bronze cuirass on the red standard bearer.  I also gave him a stripey hat similar to the stripey hats on my Canaanites.
 I also repainted the Red units standard bearer's cuirass silver and likewise he got a stripey hat.

Cheers

Thursday, 16 August 2018

Publius Cornelius Scipio

For the sake of completeness I dug out Scipio and took his picture.

And with Hannibal.

Cheers


Tuesday, 14 August 2018

The Hannibal Barca 2 Hour Painting Challenge

A few years ago, actually it was probably about 10, when the struggle for control of the Mediterranean in the 3rd century BC first piqued my interest I bought 2 figures from Ebay, listed as "Hannibal and Scipio".  Scipio got painted pretty much straight away along with the bulk of the Romans and can still be seen in the Roman army, Hannibal however was exiled to The Box.  There he languished, that is, until a about 6 months ago when I was poking around looking to see what I had and what I wanted in respect of a Carthaginian army.  I got him out cleaned him up and based him in preparation for the great day when he would get his very own coat of paint.  And there he lurked in a different box, waiting, biding his time.
Then a couple of days ago I thought I bet I could paint him in a couple of hours, so today I downloaded a stopwatch app for my phone and timed myself.  I started the stopwatch when I sat down and stopped it during "drying time" or when I got up to make a coffee or whatever.
After 2 hours 1 minute and 48 seconds I'd done this.


All in all I'm happy with the result.  Sure I could have been a bit neater here and there, but the clock was ticking and I even managed to do the eyes, actually it's an eye, as Hannibal lost one eye and the figure has scarring around the right eye.  I also gave him a silvered breast plate and greaves to mark him out as a leader.


And here he is doing what any ancient general worth his salt should do, leading from the front.

Cheers


Saturday, 4 August 2018

First unit of Carthaginians

Finished the first unit of Carthaginian spearmen today, like the Hoplites from the last post these are from Crusader and also like the Hoplites they have Aventine spears.




Cheeers

Tuesday, 17 July 2018

New Army

Continuing on the theme of The Rise of Rome, I've started painting a Carthaginian army so naturally the first unit I've painted is some Greek Hoplites.


These are the ubiquitous Crusader Hoplites, which are strictly speaking probably too early for the 1st Punic War with their Corinthian Helmets but I've had these figures for a while and they are instantly recognizable as Greeks.  I've started painting 2 x 20 figure units of Crusader's Libyan Spearmen which shouldn't take too long to finish.
Until then Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Sunday, 24 June 2018

More anti elephant shenanigans

This time the more realistic anti elephant wagon as used by the Romans against Pyrrhus at the Battle of Asculum.


In the absence of a commercially available anti elephant wagon I ordered a Wild West Wagon from Warlord Games along with the pigs.  The wagon is made from MDF and to be perfectly honest I think it's a bit to regular in appearance to be an ancient Roman wagon, now I might be underestimating the ability of Roman artisans but to my mind and ancient ox cart would have a more rustic appearance.  I stuck the scuta along the sides in order to break up the clean lines of the wagon, not to make some sort of Vikingesque land ship!  The oxen are from Irregular Miniatures, which I've had for sometime and the yoke and shaft are scratch built with plasi-card and lead wire, the off side oxen required  a bit of remodeling with a saw and green stuff in order to get a fit under the yoke.  The fire pot and gallows was once again made from plasi-card with lead foil, a push pin and green stuff.  




When it came to assembling the wagon the oxen were tiny in comparison to the wagon so I had to leave out the 2 bits of MDF that represent the suspension to reduce the height of the wagon by about 2mm and put a bit of 2mm plasi-card under the already chunky bases of the oxen, which is why they look like they are standing on a small hillock.  When it came to painting it I daubed the paint on once again trying to get a rustic look.  
The crew are Crusader Miniatures Apulian Spearmen surplus to requirement from the Roman Army and were painted as bit of an experiment in Italian tunics.  
I knew from the start that I was never going to be completely happy with the finished article, making the best of a bad job if you will, it's turned out as well as could be expected and does the job.
All together I would like 3 anti elephant wagons and I've got some ideas for scratch builds, so you never know.

Cheers